Protect Your Small Business with these STOP. THINK. CONNECT. Tips:
- Keep a clean machine: Having the latest security software, web browser and operating system is the best defense against viruses, malware and other online threats.
- Automate software updates: Many software programs will automatically connect and update to defend against known risks. Turn on automatic updates if that’s an available option.
- When in doubt, throw it out: Links in email, tweets, posts and online advertising are often how cybercriminals try to steal your personal information. Even if you know the source, if something looks suspicious, delete it.
- Don’t open unsolicited email: Email scams like phishing are among the most common schemes criminals use to steal from your network. Use email filters to block these emails and be leery of any messages that ask you to provide personal information, even if they appear to come from a bank or company you’ve dealt with.
- Protect all devices that connect to the Internet: Along with computers, smartphones, gaming systems and other web-enabled devices also need protection from viruses and malware.
- Plug & scan: USBs and other external devices can be infected by viruses and malware. Use your security software to scan them.